Saturday, April 26, 2008

De Profundis

God's people receive only good things from God's hand - even when that good is packaged with the heaviness of a trial. When the dust settles, and even before - the goodnesses become evident. One such goodness is the singular way that God teaches His children through hardship.

Lately, I've been learning lessons. I've mellowed quite a bit about quite a few things. But conversely, I'm more stubbornly devoted to some things now, than I was before. Psalmnody is one such thing.

Have you ever tried quoting a praise chorus to someone in the midst of a bone-crushing trial? Not much remains but a sense of hollowness. Maybe it's the air, but hospitals have a way of taking the shine off a new praise song like few other things. Even the words of the greatest hymns, don't command my obedience with total authority - much less those written to produce as much foot tapping as genuine edification.

How should we face trials? How should we grieve and mourn? Today's church is bereft of solid answers or examples. But we don't have to reinvent the wheel - God has sung His reply.

In the Psalms we find praise, mourning, introspection, spiritual revelry, wrath, and repentence God's way. The limits of honest self expression, imprecation, and incredulity are established. Every emotion is formed and instructed by music - sinking in in such a way so as to avert the defenses; obedience is intuited.

I've been struck by the necessity of intimacy with the Psalms - knowing them in my bones - and so responding to trial Biblically. I'm ashamed at my ignorance of them as I try to lead my wife through Godly sorrow. Where are the Psalms are in today's church? If I'm such a stranger to them, so must be countless others.

This is a spiritual poverty.