Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wittenberg Beer [Luther's Secret Weapon]


Martin Luther once said: 'While I drink my little glass of Wittenberg beer the gospel runs its course and overthrows empires.' Now that is truly the finest and most comforting thing I have ever heard said about beer.

-Robert Reymond, The God-centered Preacher

Luther also said: “I opposed indulgences and all the papists, but never with force. I simply taught, preached and wrote God’s Word; otherwise I did nothing. And while I slept, or drank Wittenberg beer with my friends Philip [Melanchthon] and [Nicholas] Amsdorf, the Word so greatly weakened the papacy that no prince or emperor ever inflicted such losses upon it. I did nothing; the Word did everything.

For an interesting article on the beers of the Reformation, click here.

No comments: