Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Jefferson's Retrospective: Adding Just One Last Amendment


It is easy for we Christians to dismiss Tea Party types as crass, one-track activists who just want to keep their pockets better padded via lower taxes.  But this is because we often forget that the question of taxation is a moral one.  It was Jesus Who taught us that where our $$ is, there will our hearts be also.  $$ is at the core of what ails us, and repenting of our fiscal sins will go a long way in curbing the others as well.  Along these lines, here's a truly remarkable quote from Jefferson I came across:

“I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution. I would be willing to depend on that alone for the reduction of the administration of our government; I mean an additional article taking from the Federal Government the power of borrowing.”

– Thomas Jefferson, in his letter to John Taylor, November 26, 1798
Artwork by Mia Nogueira, www.tjjournal.com

No comments: