Thursday, December 6, 2007

Handel's Messiah: THE BEST EVER

The first time that Scripture ever describes someone as being 'filled with the Spirit of God', it was Bezaleel - an artisan/silversmith - for the purpose of achieving supreme excellence in his vocational craft as he directed the construction of the tabernacle and ark. Now, not only does this explode the wacky ideas that accompany the 'pentecostal' theology of being spirit-filled, but it gives us further grounds to cultivate a true, lifelong appreciation of the arts.

In my humble opinion, art doesn't get any more appreciable than Handel's Messiah. Tomorrow, Lord willing, my brother and I will get to see the BSO perform it. For me it is a highpoint of every year ... three hours of the sublime. It is a foretaste of the great last day when every knee will bow and every tongue confess Christ as worthy of worship when I stand for the halleluah chorus along with every other sinner in that place. Here is a rendition of one of my favorite pieces - a quote from the Messianic prophecy of Malachi 3.3: 'And He shall purify the sons of Levi, that they may offer up to Him an offering of righteousness'.


or this unforgettable piece from Isaiah 9.6: 'For unto us a child is born...'



I AM SO PUMPED!!!!!!

No comments: