Thursday, December 20, 2007

LIFE IN SHERWOOD FOREST pt 1 of 2

What's it called when a guy takes somebody else's money by threat of harm so that he can use it for himself and his friends?

Currently, we use three different words for it depending on the context.

1: if we're talking about Robin Hood, it's called heroism. [Rob the rich; feed the poor]

2: if we're talking about your property, it's called taxes. [Wealth redistribution and equality]

3: if we're talking about my property, it's called theft. [Hands off!]

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not protesting taxes. I'm protesting taxes that are used to improve the welfare of others. The handicapped are not the responsibility of the state. Neither is my retirement. Neither is my hospital bill. When a politician buys votes from the poor with promises to provide these things, guess whose money he is spending. The nanny-state to some, the bully-state to others - this is not legitimate.

2 comments:

AdoptedSon said...

yeah but you may as well use it since it is there - 1/2 of my junior and senior years were paid for by my Uncle Sam + my low interest school loan came from him. He also lets me deduct my interest on this loan from my tax to him.

but I agree.

Benjamin said...

true, true - but there's also a difference between encouraging education with tax deductions, and funding education with tax dollars. Uncle Sam paid initially, but the more successful you are from now on, the more you'll be paying him back.