Monday, December 17, 2007

Rich Simplicity - Worship PART 3

Scenario #3: Many years of marriage have refined me in ways that seem funny, now. One Christmas, I gave my wife a small, fire-proof safe for her present. We needed one for our important documents, I wanted one, and found a great deal ... so she got one. For her birthday, she got a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum revolver - to go in the safe. After a while, we both recongnized a trend. [I'm proud to report that lately, she's gotten a digital camera, flowery china, and romantic letters.]

Application #3: Counselors call it the narcissism; psychologists call it projection; the Bible calls it will worship; forming God from man's image. We presume that good worship will naturally take on a look that just happens to mirror our favorite music video. My tastes become God's. I love Maroon 5, so God will too, right? We offer to God what we are willing to give Him, and that's often as deep as it goes. We've long since abandoned looking outside ourselves for a standard of goodness or beauty.

Is it really all about Him - what He desires, deserves, & demands of us? Who is worship actually supposed to please?

No comments: